Marine Science Teen Internship
Join the 2021 Marine Science Teen Internship at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County!
The program recruits ten high school juniors and seniors from the Math, Science, & Technology Magnet Academy, Theodore Roosevelt High School, and Felicitas & Gonzalo Mendez High School in Boyle Heights, who begin as unpaid interns in the spring semester and then become paid museum employees over the summer.
Interns are responsible for developing a marine science education program and facilitating the experience virtually to community members throughout Los Angeles County.
Who can apply?
Juniors and seniors at the Math, Science, & Technology Magnet Academy, Theodore Roosevelt High School, and Felicitas & Gonzalo Mendez High School in Boyle Heights, California.
A work permit and proof of authorization to work in the U.S. are required.
Why should I join?
- Develop transferable work skills such as public speaking and teaching, science communication, interactive program development, teamwork and collaboration, and customer service.
- Explore a variety of careers and make valuable connections with Museum professionals and community members.
- Earn $15/hr as a science educator during the June/July portion of the internship.
When does the internship take place?
- 6 Saturdays between March and June for unpaid training and professional development. Saturday sessions will be 3.5 hours with a lunch break.
- 24 paid hours per week from June to July.
Where does the internship take place?
- The internship will be conducted virtually using Zoom.
An "Equipment Needs Assessment" will be conducted at the start of the internship to ensure that interns are equipped with the necessary devices and technology to participate in the program.
- Virtual Orientation: March 20, 2021
- Unpaid Internship Dates: March 27, April 10, April 24, May 8, May 22, June 5.
- Paid Internship Dates: June 14–17, June 21–24, June 28–July 1, July 5–8, July 12–15, July 19–22.
How can I apply?
- Application Period: January 13–February 7, 2021
- Application: Submit a personal statement to Marisol Garcia- Manager, Mobile Museums at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your personal statement should have a maximum of 500 words and answer the following 3 questions: Why are you interested in this internship? What do you hope to gain from this experience? What are the qualities that you have that will contribute to this program?
- Application Due Date: Submit your personal statement by Sunday, February 7, 2021. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Please include your full name, grade level, school name, phone number, and personal email address with your application.
- Please indicate if you will be able to provide a work permit and proof of authorization to work in the U.S.
All applicants will be notified of the status of their initial application by February 12, 2020. Competitive applicants will be invited to a second-round Zoom interview the following week. Official offers will be made by March 5, 2020.